November Book Club (Heart Berries)
Heart Berries by Terese Marie Mailhot
Length: 143 pages
Limited spots available.
Deadline to subscribe: Oct 29th, 2021
Tea-book kit available: Nov 1st, 2021
Book + CommuniTea online meet-up and experience: Sunday, November 28, 2021
Heart Berries is a powerful memoir of an Indigenous woman coming of age on the Seabird Island Indian Reservation in the Pacific Northwest. Having survived a dysfunctional upbringing, the author, Terese Marie Mailhot, becomes hospitalized with a dual diagnosis of post-traumatic stress disorder and bipolar disorder. She is given a notebook and begins to write her way out of trauma. The extraordinary result is her memoir. Heart Berries is ultimately a memorial to Mailhot’s mother, a social worker and activist; a story of reconciliation with her father, an abusive drunk and artist murdered under mysterious circumstances; and an elegy on how difficult it is to love someone while dragging the shadows of shame. Mailhot’s unique and at times unsettling voice graphically illustrates her mental state. As she writes, she discovers her own voice, seizes control of her story, and, in so doing, reestablishes her connection to her family, to her people, and to her place in the world.
Included in your tea-book kit are:
- This month’s feature book
- This month’s featured teas (one caffeinated, one decaf), their history, creation, and connection to the book
- 2 Paired small business goodies (art prints, stickers, bookmarks, enamel pins, etc.)
- Participation in this month’s small group book club meeting facilitated by Linda and Friday – offering meaningful conversation, human connection, and shared learning centered around our featured book
- Insights from a special guest – perhaps an artist, academic, or global visitor – to bring a unique perspective to the conversation
Your valuable support for local business – all Books + Communi-Tea kits are sourced from local, small businesses