September Book Club (Black Women's History of the US)
A Black Women’s History of the United States by Daina Ramey Berry and Kali Nicole Gross
Length: 273 pages
Limited spots available.
Deadline to subscribe: August 29th, 2021
Tea-book kit available: September 1st, 2021
Book + CommuniTea online meet-up and experience: Sunday, September26, 2021
This extraordinary book retells U.S. history from the perspectives of bold Black women. Throughout its pages, award-winning historians Berry and Gross explore and celebrate womanhood – beginning with the first African women who arrived in what became the U.S. to African American women of today. The book reaches beyond a single narrative to showcase Black women’s lives in all their complexities: enslaved women, freedwomen, religious leaders, artists, queer women, activists, and women who lived outside the law. It is a critical starting point for exploring Black women’s history and the important role they played, and continue to play, in shaping the U.S. At the same time, it is a testament to the beauty, richness, rhythm, tragedy, heartbreak, rage, and love that abounds in the spirit of women in communities across the nation.
Included in your tea-book kit are:
- This month’s feature book
- This month’s featured teas (one caffeinated, one decaf), their history, creation, and connection to the book
- 2 Paired small business goodies (art prints, stickers, bookmarks, enamel pins, etc.)
- Participation in this month’s small group book club meeting facilitated by Linda and Friday – offering meaningful conversation, human connection, and shared learning centered around our featured book
- Insights from a special guest – perhaps an artist, academic, or global visitor – to bring a unique perspective to the conversation
Your valuable support for local business – all Books + Communi-Tea kits are sourced from local, small businesses