October Book Club (Darjeeling)
Darjeeling by Bharti Kirchner
Genre: Travel Adventure
Length: 320 pages
Limited spots available.
Deadline to subscribe: September 29th, 2021
Tea-book kit available: October 1st, 2021
Book + CommuniTea online meet-up and experience: Sunday, October 24, 2021
This cross-continental story of family and forbidden love is set within tea plantations in Darjeeling, India; New York City; and Canada. Two sisters, Aloka and Sujata, both fall in love with an idealistic revolutionary, Pranab. A marriage of honor, instead of love, ensues. Family secrets escape and the three are forced to leave Darjeeling: Aloka flees to New York City and Sujata to Canada. Sujata opens her own tea company, keeping her family’s customs and livelihood close to her heart. Ten years later, their grandmother summons them home to the family tea plantation while Pranab also returns – intent on rekindling the connection he severed to the one he loves. Overflowing with culture, rich foods, smells, and lush descriptions of the different flavors and smells of tea, Darjeeling is a far-reaching story of family, sisters, and the universally human emotions of rivalry, love, and honor.
Included in your tea-book kit are:
- This month’s feature book
- This month’s featured teas (one caffeinated, one decaf), their history, creation, and connection to the book
- 2 Paired small business goodies (art prints, stickers, bookmarks, enamel pins, etc.)
- Participation in this month’s small group book club meeting facilitated by Linda and Friday – offering meaningful conversation, human connection, and shared learning centered around our featured book
- Insights from a special guest – perhaps an artist, academic, or global visitor – to bring a unique perspective to the conversation
Your valuable support for local business – all Books + Communi-Tea kits are sourced from local, small businesses