Chai-ce Cream! May 20 2016
Well, we took a vote. You guys all really REALLY needed to know how to make delicious chai ice cream at home, so Allyn and I made you a video! It turns out homemade ice cream is totally NBD. We don't even own an ice cream maker, and it still came out great!
Ready? Let's go!
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 3/4 cup whole milk
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons loose leaf Masala Chai
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine milk, cream, tea and vanilla extract and bring slowly to a boil over low heat (be sure to stir frequently to prevent the dairy from scorching!
- When your liquids are at a boil, remove from the heat and set aside.
- Mix sugar and egg yolks in a metal mixing bowl.
- Strain the warm milk/tea mixture directly into the bowl of sugar and egg, but just a bit at a time. Be sure to thoroughly whisk between additions!
- Rinse your saucepan, then return the custard to the saucepan over low heat again.
- Heat until thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon. Be SURE to stir constantly, or your custard will absolutely curdle and scorch at this step.
- When thickened, strain custard back into the metal mixing bowl and set in the fridge to cool to room temperature.
- IF YOU OWN AN ICE CREAM MAKER: Churn the custard for 20 minutes, then put it in the freezer.
IF YOU DO NOT OWN AN ICE CREAM MAKER: Transfer your custard to a freezer safe 4-cup container and cover with parchment or plastic wrap to prevent a skin from forming. Take out every 30 minutes to stir until the ice cream reaches the desired consistency.